Thank you for your interest in working with Equal Access.
Equal Access International is a development communications NGO headquartered in San Francisco with country offices and programs in Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Chad, Nepal, Niger, Pakistan and Yemen. A communications for social change organization which combines the power of media with grassroots community mobilization, Equal Access creates customized communications strategies and outreach solutions that address the most critical challenges affecting people in the developing world such as women and girls empowerment, youth life-skills and livelihoods, education, human rights, health, and democracy and governance. With over 140 staff worldwide and twelve years experience implementing innovative media and social change projects in challenging and remote locations, we seek a San Francisco-based Business Development/Communications Officer.
Business Development/Communications Officer
The Business Development/Communications Officer works with the Sr. Business Development Manager and other members of the business development and programs teams on business development activities, grant writing, proposal management, new business opportunities and funding research to advance the Equal Access mission and support our communications, media, community outreach and capacity building projects. In addition, the BD/ Communications Officer works with the CEO and the Business Development team on marketing and communications activities, website management, external relations, organizational visibility, marketing and communication strategy and all related materials including press releases, annual report, EA website and events.
- Advance Equal Access’ institutional fund development efforts by supporting the proposal development process and proposal teams to meet deadlines, including narrative writing; preparation of supporting documents; and final submission.
- Participate in business development calls with field focal points to identify opportunities at the local level, support prospecting, donor cultivation, and fund development.
- Work with partner organizations including responding to information requests and contributing to bids and proposals in a timely and responsive manner.
- Work closely with the Business Development team to maintain donor relationships, strategic partnerships and other business development relationships.
- Support efforts to develop and implement strategies that secure unrestricted funding.
- Write letters of inquiry/proposals to foundations and corporate donors.
- Research and disseminate funding opportunities.
- Evaluate and present potential business development opportunities.
- Support the development of tools and processes to improve organizational documentation efforts and efficiencies. Manage soft and hard copy proposal documents and files.
- Collaborate with Senior Management, Development and Program staff to accomplish related results.
- Travel to the field as needed for business development meetings and capacity building with field teams (10 % – 25%)
- Support and collaborate with the Business Development Team to implement the marketing and communications strategy. Create customized materials including one-pagers, background and success stories and other marketing materials.
- Oversee website updates and maintenance, posting of news articles, press releases and other programmatic updates.
- Collaborate with the Business Development Team to prepare the annual report and other marketing communications for institutional and private donors including contributions to the website.
- Create and produce an electronic newsletter and/or online one page blasts to promote Equal Access’ brand, impact and projects.
- Identify and capitalize on opportunities to increase Equal Access’ visibility and brand recognition and elevate its public image, including traditional PR and recommendations for innovative on-line approaches.
- Collaborate with CEO and COO for fundraising events and activities.
- Collaborate with CEO and external vendors to create the annual report.
- Work with external vendors for services as needed.
The position reports to the Sr. Business Development Manager.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required (master’s degree preferable) in a related field.
Experience: A minimum of 3 years professional experience in business development, grant writing, communications and fundraising with a strong working knowledge of international development.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Ability:
- Excellent writing skills, with demonstrated ability to produce compelling and technically sound proposals and promotional documents both individually and in collaboration with teams.
- Ability to prioritize and work well in a fast-paced office environment, often under deadline.
- Experience working with diverse teams, including virtual teams in multiple countries.
- Strong communicator and team player.
- Experience in development communications, public relations or a media/journalism background is preferred.
- Ability to communicate organizational priorities, interests and capacity to existing and potential donors and partners in writing.
- Strong organizational and project coordination skills, including working well under deadline pressure.
- Excellent ability to work collaboratively with CEO, COO and other staff both at HQ and in the field.
- Knowledge of international development, multilateral and bilateral agencies, particularly of funding cycles.
- Graduate degree (or additional experience in lieu) preferably in marketing, communications, business development or international development.
- Proven understanding of key international development issues and their nexus with development communications – civil society development, health and HIV/AIDS, migration, women’s empowerment and youth issues.
- Knowledge of USAID, multilateral and/or bilateral procedures and guidelines.
- Excellent computer skills including use of Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field locations.
To apply, please send a cover letter indicating your reasons for interest in the position and a resume to: email@example.com with “BD/Comm’s Officer” in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please apply April 25, 2013. This is an exempt full time position. Applicants must have the right to work in the U.S. Equal Access does not provide sponsorship.